5 Thoughts to consider before getting a nostril piercing
Can you handle a nostril piercing?
Nostril piercings may not be the most painful things in the world, but there will be some discomfort both during the procedure and after. Be sure that you’re ok with this.
Can you care for it?
Nostril piercings really need to be cleaned properly, twice a day for at least 4-6 months. Be sure that you are willing to do this, or you may end up with infections or irritation.
Can you be patient with it?
It can’t be stressed enough how patient you should be with a nostril piercing. You need to just let it sit and heal, and resist taking it out or changing it during the first few months.
Can you resist touching it?
You really should not touch it at all. It is going to be hard to not touch your face and nose for a long time, but to save yourself some trouble, you really need to avoid it.
Can you think of any reason not to get it?
Whether it is work, school, or a medical condition, really make sure it is ok for you to have a nostril piercing. As awesome as we think they are, some people do not agree, and you should make sure it is okay to have them in school or work.
What to expect when getting a nostril piercing
There are several stages of getting a nostril piercing. Here is a handy little list which should give you a rough idea of what you’ll be getting yourself into.
1. There’ll be paperwork to fill out when you arrive, to give consent and present ID.
2. You’ll have to pick out some jewellery if you haven’t already. Make sure you like it because you could be wearing it for up to 6 months.
3. You and your piercer will mark the point on your nose you want to have pierced, and the piercer will mark the placement with a surgical marker.
4. The piercer will then insert a sterilised, hollow gauge needle through the marker, followed by the jewellery you picked out.
5. You are now finished! It’s all over in a flash. Your piercer should give you some aftercare tips and you should listen. You can also find them on this page.